SWTORData was made because I saw a need for a game I love and continue to play.
My goal with SWTORData is to build unique tools and features for the Star Wars: The Old Republic community.
Features like: an API for developers, tracking Conquest, Dark vs Light scores, and GTN Data*.
Working with the community
We all should want a strong community for SWTOR.
A community where fan sites work together instead of critizing or attacking other members of the community. No single can site should try to do everything, instead we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
I have actively worked with members of the community (both new and established) all with the goal of creating a better community and good resources for players.
API for developers
One of the first things I added after launching SWTORData was an API.
I knew it was important to create a resource that others could use to build the services they want to use.
This has made it so these creators can focus on what they want to create, instead of the requirement of trying to build an API.
This also put a focus on the fact that SWTORData will never and should never be the one stop spot for everything.
Links to other fansites
I worked with other fansites to make it so links to their sites are part of SWTORData.
When users search their links come up, and when relevant their links are pages for specific Items.
SWTORData has changed a lot over the the last several years. Here are some (but not all) of the key things that have happened in the history of SWTORData
- September 2, 2014 -- Launched SWTORConquest. First thing I created for the community.
- September 23, 2014 -- Kickstarter to redesign SWTORConquest launched. Funded $1,396, had a $700 goal (USD).
- December 13, 2014 -- Kickstarter funded redesign of SWTORConquest goes live
- November 10, 2014 -- Launched SWTOREvent to track in game events
- December 21, 2014 -- Launched SWTORCartel to track the Cartel Market
- March 16, 2015 -- Major redesign of SWTORCartel (before merge to SWTORData)
- May 21, 2015 -- First public API for SWTORData is live
- September 24, 2015 -- Several new categories added to SWTORData
- May 5, 2016 -- Cartel and Events merged into SWTORData
- July 6, 2016 -- SWTORData added links to third party sites
- November 30, 2016 -- Launched Dark VS Light tracking and a new scanner rebuilt from the ground up
- December 18, 2016 -- Launched Server Status tracking and took over for torstatus.net
- February 13, 2017 -- Launched CXP Bonus tracking
- June 19, 2017 -- SWTORData Mobile App first launched
- September 18, 2017 -- V2 of the SWTORData Mobile App launched with a new UI, the Feed, and Spotlight
- September 20, 2017 -- Collection Manager tool launched
- January 22, 2018 -- Launched GTN Tracking
*at the time this was written, to the best of my knowledge no one else had this feature or abilityGears filled icon credits